Quick Facts - Missionary & Personnel Information
As of SEPTEMBER 2011, the LCMS sends, equips and supports a global mission team of more than 980 people!
Today, this team is built on the foundation of 61 international career missionary families, filling 68 paid missionary positions (in some cases both the husband and wife fill paid positions). These 68 paid positions include:
- 34 clergy
- 1 pastoral candidate
- 4 teachers
- 5 DCEs and DCOs
- 2 deaconesses
- 2 medical missionaries
- 20 lay people
There are an additional 35 spouses with missionary solemn appointments. In summary, there are 103 international career missionaries serving through LCMS World Mission.
Also, LCMS World Mission partners in collaborative support of five (5) clergy serving as international Alliance Missionaries who come from LCMS international sister/partner churches and are serving in foreign countries in partnership and support through LCMS World Mission.
The LCMS international mission team also includes:
- 110 GEO (globally engaged in outreach) missionaries who serve terms of 1-2 years in 27 countries
- 56 international educators serving schools in 6 countries
- 54 short-term missionary individuals served or will serve in 2011
- 444 individuals served or will serve on short-term mission teams in 2011
LCMS Ministry to the Armed Forces currently endorses and supports:
- 208 military chaplains, including
- 67 active duty chaplains
- 83 Reserve and National Guard chaplains (4 of which are at seas or in Afghanistan or Kuwait)
- 25 Veteran Affairs chaplains
- 29 Civil Air Patrol chaplains
- 4 federal prison chaplains