The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ghana (ELCG) was established in 1958 by LCMS missionaries and became a sister/partner church of the LCMS in 1971. The ELCG is a member of the International Lutheran Council (ILC). LCMS World Mission supports the work of the national church through seminary education and theological education by extension. Currently, LCMS World Mission is helping to build a new seminary in Ghana, so that the students and professors can move out of their very cramped national headquarters into the new building, which has space for more students and a library.
LCMS World Relief and Human Care began supporting agriculture projects in Ghana in 1984. This later grew into providing support for women’s literacy projects, agriculture classes, wells, ambulances, motorcycles for church workers, fire and flood response, substance abuse and addiction programming, goats for widows and orphans and clinic/pharmacy support.